Tuesday 19 July 2011

Things are back to normal

IE: I am being a sewing mentalist again. After the stall at Cally Fest I took a week off to recover and reflect. And that week sort of ended up being two. I think it's really important to take a breather now and then, reflect a bit on what has been happening and give the old noggin a chance to rest and wait for inspiration to strike.

I've been to see friends, spent a lovely weekend with my sisters at little sis's hen do (surfing in a thunder storm anyone?) and just chilled.

Me being me though, can't stay in a state of limbo for very long and another stall is beckoning so time to get on it again. I've been getting obsessed by quilts again. I have such a love hate relationship with them and don't think I'll get over how emotional they become for me. Maybe it's all the time you spend with them choosing fabrics, cutting, sewing, sewing more, pressing, piecing, sewing and then holy crapola! All that pinning and then wrestling through the machine to finally quilt. Admittedly I adore the binding stage as it seems to be such a lovely gentle way to finish; hand sewing the binding in front of the telly sitting next to The HusWife. Sigh.

Anyhoo, have got one on the go and one in the planning. First up:

Upholstery sample book quilt

Upholstery sample book quilt

The Magnificent Mum gave me some upholstery fabric sample books last year and they've been gathering dust. One afternoon I just sort of leapt on them and started ripping out the samples, and sewed them together without too much thought. Now, I've no idea if using such thick material is a massive no-no in the old quilting world, and I'm not entirely sure I like the colours, but I think the fabrics are interesting in their own right and I'm persevering. We shall see.

Secondly:

Possible materials for the next denim quilt

I really can't get the denim quilt thing out of my system at all. So I'm planning another. This time I'm going to integrate some of the scrappy bits and pieces I have lying around. Not sure I've got the right mix of fabrics yet... And I'll probably use larger pieces of denim. And that's about as far as the planning has got, but then that's the way I like it when it comes to these denim puppies - freestyle!

Oh and then I've also been making more purses and pencil cases and totes and what have you; I'll share those as soon as I get my arse in gear to photograph them! It's great to be back :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment